Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Week 5- Question #7

There is definitely a “look at me” culture in American society today. I think that social media plays a major role in developing and continuing this viewpoint among Americans today. Think of all the reality shows where people are begging to be seen (Desperate Housewives, Toddlers & Tiaras, The Bachelor). All of these shows are about these people and their life. I think that young people watch these shows and think this is what they should aim for, being seen on television or by the public as some “important” person. E! News constantly shows the newest fashion statements and the hottest new trends, all things people can do to get seen.
I do not think this culture would of spread as fast if media was not prevalent in so many ways today and easily assessable. Most of the trends that society follows are set by celebrities; therefore I think this “look at me” culture originated with them and will remain with the public as long as celebrities are around.    

2 comments:

  1. American's, for whatever reason, have always been fixated on celebrities. People need celebrities to imitate, to look up to, and to copy. I have been guilty of this myself, ever since my father introduced me to Fashion Police, but in my opinion Joan Rivers is more interesting.

    I agree with you that the celebrity obsession would not be as prominent if it were not for the media and technology, but even decades ago, people were still interested in celebrities. Unfortunately, time and time again someone who is talentless reaches stardom which can give other celebrities who are talented a bad stigma. With technology and media advancing, the spotlight on celebrities will only grow, affecting trends and styles within our society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Gary, that every era and generation has its celebrities, and it's fascinating to look at who was famous and why - and how that might have reflected society's values, etc. Alecia, I think you're right that the 'look at me' culture is pervasive now. it seems that for many aspiring celebrities, that's ALL they want. And I think Toddlers and Tiaras surely means that the end of the world is coming soon. :)

    ReplyDelete